Tuesday 16 March 2010

ELF Complexion Perfection powder

I have mixed feelings about ELF products. I think the range is great value for money - most items are £1.50 - and offers an amazing selection of products to experiment with. Based on numerous purchases from ELF, I do feel that the quality goes up and down dependent upon what you buy.

The Studio range of products is really quite impressive. It's the more upmarket range with packaging that mimics the tactile design of Nars products but with a finish far less likely to get covered with fingerprints. Most items are £3.50.



For me, one of the standout items from the Studio range is the Complexion Perfection powder. This pressed powder comes in a very 'Nars-a-like' compact and looks odd when you first see it in the pan. Each quarter of the powder rectangle is a different shade - blue, pink, yellow and green. The idea is that the mixture of colours combines to brighten and even out your skin tone. It also promises to neutralise redness.

I have a lot of redness in my cheeks but the rest of my face is pale and I have freckles all over. As much as I like to cover the redness, I do not like the mask effect this can sometimes create. I prefer to tone the ruddiness down slightly in order that the rest of my skin can still show through. The Complexion Perfection is perfect for me because I can swirl a mix of the green and yellow sections onto my cheeks and it tones down the red without leaving me looking cakey.


As you can see from the fingertip swatch, the colours blend together to create a neutral shade. I find the powder to be very silky and smooth and a versatile product. I can swirl a kabuki brush across all colours and then dust over bare skin when I want a super quick finish on my skin to tone down shine and redness. I regularly use the powder to set my foundation if I'm wearing a full face of make up and I can reapply throughout the day without caking or build up of colour. I also use a small, fluffy brush with the yellow and pink sections to create a peach shade to set my undereye concealer and tone down any dark circles.

I've had this product since the Studio line launched in the UK (August last year??) and I have used it almost every day since. There is a dip in the middle of the powder but I have not yet hit pan. I think this product is amazing for £3.50 and I always recommend it to people if they ask about pressed powder. It's definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment