Tuesday 9 February 2010

Slap happy - intro

Welcome to Glamoured, my new place to chunter on about face paints. I  love make-up. I love buying it, wearing it, putting it on other people, becoming a personal shopper for it, watching YouTube tutorials, hauls and reviews about it and reading other people's blogs about it. I like lots of other things too, but make-up has been my 'thing' since I was about four and I discovered my mum's Constance Carroll roll-on lipglosses in her make-up collection (a black vanity case which she kept under the bed).

I used to watch my mum put her make-up on for work or when she was going out in the evening. This was in the 1980s, so her rollerball lipglosss, blue and/or green shimmer eyeshadow and stripes of blusher were often accompanied by a glamorous boilersuit (oxymoron?) or sequinned boob tube, plaited leather headband and scarily high stilettos. It may not have been classic, but I was head-over-heels for it.

Then when I stayed with my nan and grandad in the summer holidays, my nan would let me sort through her make-up, lotions and potions. I remember a solid, heavy, powder compact of blue enamel and gold metal. Its contents were beautifully perfumed and buttery-smooth to the touch. A bottle of blue setting lotion, a coral lipstick and always a bottle of Oil of Ulay (the name change was still years away). She would let me 'zhuzsh' her up and would also indulge my hobby of concocting face creams and perfume out of cold cream, cucumbers, water and rose petals. She was a gem.

Fast forward to 2010 and my make-up love is as strong as ever. This has serious ramifications for my bank balance, but what can I say - it's my thing.

I intend to use this space to write about products I like, looks I like, maybe post some pictures of willing victims who'll let me at them with my brush roll and who knows what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment