Monday 22 February 2010

GOSH Irresistible Intensity mascara

Whilst perusing the aisles of my local Superdrug this afternoon, I noticed a display of new mascara from GOSH. I love mascara and I only ever buy drugstore brands.There's no way I'm dropping £20 on something from Chanel or Estee Lauder when I'll need to bin it in three months. I am a big fan of Rimmel Sexy Curves. I like buildable mascaras and my eyelashes don't have much natural curl, so I also prefer a mascara to lock the work of my Shu lash curler in place.

Happy with my Rimmel, I was not going to be tempted by GOSH's latest offering. Then I saw the brush and thought 'ooo, interesting'. The wand is topped by a bristle brush that looks like a standard mascara brush spliced with the end of a loo brush. Perhaps not the most glamorous description, but that's how it looks to me. Unlike the multiple balls on the Rimmel Sexy Curves brush or the monoball that is the L'Oreal Telescopic brush, this ball is made of proper bristles, not plastic ones. It's also a pretty decent size and made me think it would do a good job of coating and separating my lashes.

I decided to chance it and so slipped it into my basket. When I got home, I had a closer look. The brush came out of the tube well coated but did not need to be swiped on a tissue to remove the excess. I am a big fan of not having to wipe away product I've just paid good money for, so that was a good start.

I'd already curled my lashes so I set about trying to work out how to use the brush. I was able to use the regular, shorter bristle part of the brush to waggle close to the base of my lashes a few times. I then used the ball part to pull through the lengths. I then swiped the ball part along the lashes in one direction and then back in the other in order to coat all my lashes and get as close to the base as possible. A final upward swoop with the brush and I was pleased with the final effect - long, gently curled and well defined.

                                            
               Top: my naked lashes, bottom: one coat of GOSH Irresistible Intensity

The pictures I've taken were from the end of the day. On first wear, I am happy with how well the mascara lasted. My lashes kept their shape without feeling too crispy. I had no smudges or flakes under the eye, though I don't tend to get that problem mush with any mascara.

I'm not sure if I used the wand in the way it's supposed to be used (I didn't check the tube for guidelines to be honest) but I was pleased with the finish my method produced and I really do like the 'loo brush'.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Could not agree with you more about the annoyance of having to have a tissue on hand to clean a clumpy brush. I'm a big fan of drugstore mascaras too...mainly because they're usually pretty reasonable in price and I can indulge my weakness for being totally suckered in by anything labelled "NEW!" every few months.

    I dutifully succumbed to my curiosity (via the marketing campaign) like a good consumer zombie a few months ago and purchased Maybelline's Pulse Perfection (the vibrating one). I actually quite like the brush as it separates lashes well but felt a bit 'whatevs' about the vibration factor! I know deep in my heart that I will ultimately go back to the modern classic that is Max Factor's Masterpiece mascara (the gold one)...nothing before or since has made my lashes feel so light,feathery and fluttery.

    Would love you to post something about make up from different eras - esp. the 1920s/30s and 50s/60s.
    Sim xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get my thinking hat on and reserach some looks then. I am planning an upcoming post on the Joan Collins guide to beauty. It's a brilliant book :-)

    ReplyDelete